Posted:◀ prev ▲ next ▶
Program Assistant (Salinas)
Program Assistant -- MILPA
Project Background & Description:
MILPA (Motivating Individual Leadership for Public Advancement) is a program of the ACTION Council of Monterey County and functions as an intergenerational collective that is braiding the wisdom of the elders into a modern health equity framework, focused on culture, critical consciousness and movement building. The MILPA Program Assistant (PA) will develop and maintain office infrastructure, processes and protocols that will sustain daily operations, data entry, report gathering and other logistics. The PA position is geared toward professionals looking into solidifying a career in social justice. This position requires accurate records maintenance and willingness to participate in leadership capacity building opportunities in the areas of organizing, healing informed practice and health equity to influence key stakeholders to advance a policy and systems change approach that improves health outcomes in East Salinas. These core competencies will be aligned within a focus on accomplishing the MILPA objectives and work plan and collaborate with East Salinas Building Healthy Communities strategy (ES-BHC).
Building Healthy Communities (BHC) is a 10- year initiative funded by The California Endowment (TCE) aimed at improving the health status of children and youth in fourteen communities in California, and to provide a blueprint for creating healthy communities through policy and systems change that is driven by intentional resident engagement and systems partnerships. The community collaborative (Hub) in East Salinas is now implementing the Community Plan submitted to TCE in April 2010. This collaborative includes residents, systems leaders, non-profit organizations and other stakeholders, and is coordinated by a host agency, the ACTION Council of Monterey County.
General Position Function
The MILPA Program Assistant will provide the following: General office management organizational skills, advanced computer skills, clerical skills, and must prepare presentation materials, and provide programmatic and logistical support for MILPA at the discretion of Program Manager. The PA will also maintain social media elements for MILPA. The position's primary function is to coordinate, maintain and develop the infrastructure and protocol needed to provide office management.
This is a part time non-exempt (hourly wage) position with benefits. Given the nature of the work, this position requires flexible hours as some meetings and program activities may occur outside of normal office hours, on weekends, and in various locations.
1. Report directly to Program Manager and provide general updates on media, meeting and documentation purposes.
2. Work with Program Coordinator to ensure all communications, reporting deadlines are met..
3. Monitor MILPA related activities including tracking enrollment, media, workshop attendance, meeting requests and setting up requests.
4. Attend MILPA convening's and meetings as permitted by schedule and/or at the discretion of Program Manager.
5. Assist in marketing tasks that promote MILPA and ESBHC related opportunities.
6. Create and maintain an accurate data repository (e.g. Excel spreadsheet) that can be shared with others to coordinate project activities and document outcomes
7. Work with core MILPA members to ensure all MILPA work plan related meetings and requests are tracked and fulfilled.
8. Maintain clear and current communication with MILPA members by providing updates, and exploring strategic opportunities.
9. Attend and help plan MILPA events and other related conferences, trainings and workshops.
10. Provide technical assistance and support in a policy and systems change agenda that progresses health equity across systems in Monterey County.
11. Assist in website management and other MILPA social media..
1. Deep interest in and commitment to the vision, mission, and work of MILPA and East Salinas BHC.
2. Strong analytical skills.
3. Familiarity with local community generally, and the East Salinas community specifically, with appreciation and respect for its history and people.
4. Able to perform the essential responsibilities of this position.
5. Experience working in an office environment, particularly in a non- profit or public agency.
6. Able to plan workload and maximize resources while working on multiple tasks.
7. Motivated and able to work independently.
8. Fluency in Spanish and English is required.
9. Proficiency with office equipment and Microsoft Office software. Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access.
10. Ability to work with online data collection tools (e.g. Survey Monkey).
11. Ability to maintain website and social networking sites.
12. A valid driver's license, motor vehicle, and proof of vehicle insurance; ability to travel.
1. Excellence in professionalism with the ability to maintain strict confidentiality and integrity.
2. Proven team player who assists others and asks for help when needed.
3. Strong listening, interpersonal, networking, and customer service skills.
4. Able to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and communities.
5. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
6. Ability to accept constructive criticism and feedback.
1. The physical demands are those that any employee needs to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
2. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear, use hands, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk.
3. Able to lift 30 pound box and carry it 100 feet; push a hand truck/ dolly with a load of 150 pounds a distance of 100 yards; and access items on shelves in files located 0 to 60 inches above the floor.
4. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Benefits: Benefits include Medical and Dental for employees who regularly work 20 or more hours per week. We also provide excellent vacation, sick leave and paid holidays. Benefits are available when employee completes introductory period and meets eligibility.
Position Open till filled. Looking to hire as soon as possible. If interested send resume and cover letter via email.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers