Posted:◀ prev ▲ next ▶
Emergency women's shelter program director (Salinas, CA)
compensation: Living allowance of $500/mo, plus housing, food support
We are looking for people who have a deep and abiding interest in spirituality and mindfulness, who are committed to practicing compassion and working for social justice in their daily lives. You must want to be part of a Community and commit to connecting with the rest of the Franciscan Workers, to working through conflicts, and to supporting the whole group in our practices. We make decisions through consensus, which requires full participation by all our members. We support this mission: With love, respect and compassion, the Franciscan Workers of Junipero Serra provide essential services and transitional support to people experiencing the injustice of homelessness and extreme poverty. Visit http://www.companionsoftheway.org
POSITION SUMMARY: The Women Alive! Program Director is responsible for ensuring a supportive, compassionate, and empowering experience for women in our nightly shelter. Full-time; approximately 30 hrs/wk. Franciscan Workers Community members receive room and board (at a group residence walking distance from our service site) and a living allowance of $500 monthly. We are an inclusive interfaith group who support each other in practicing our diverse traditions with the common goal of manifesting our faith in our daily lives and service to the poor.
The Franciscan Workers of Junipero Serra provide meals, shelter and services to people experiencing extreme poverty and homelessness. Our Women Alive! program provides a walk-in emergency shelter for 16-20 women nightly, 150 annually, many of whom experience chronic homelessness. The Program Director is responsible for ensuring a supportive, compassionate, and empowering experience for guests of Women Alive!, including those with psychiatric disabilities and seniors. Responsibilities include financial stewardship, staff development, fundraising, program development, volunteer development, management of the facility, guest development, mentorship, and conflict resolution. The program is also supported by volunteers from the wider community.
• Familiarity with the issues surrounding homelessness and poverty. Respect and compassion for women who have been disenfranchised, traumatized and abused; who may be addicted to narcotics; who may be suffering from mental illness.
• Ability to work with diverse populations and commitment to the mission of the Franciscan Workers. Commitment to social justice, rights of the homeless, women's rights.
• Ethical, responsible, reliable
• Self-motivated, possessing excellent listening and communication skills, able to manage time wisely
• Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
• Graduate degree in social work, counseling, or psychology or equivalent combination of education and experience. LCSW is preferred (for supervision of interns).
• Able to effectively present information both orally and in written format and respond to questions from staff, clients, residents, government entities, service partners and the general public.
• Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and ability to quickly learn additional applications if required
PHYSICAL & SENSORY REQUIREMENTS:
• Ability to easily climb stairs to a second story
• Ability to easily bend and lift 20 lb. overhead
• Ability to read and comprehend administrative documents as well as data on a computer screen
More info on Women Alive! Emergency Shelter: www.dorothysplace.org/womenalive
PLEASE REPLY WITH RESUME AND COVER LETTER.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers