Posted:◀ prev ▲ next ▶
Healthy Meals coordinator (Salinas, CA)
compensation: $500/monthly living allowance, housing and food support
The Franciscan Workers of Junipero Serra provide meals, shelter and services to people experiencing extreme poverty and homelessness. The Healthy Meals Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that our "soup kitchen" serves well-prepared healthy meals including the bounty of fresh produce that our Salinas Valley is known for, and for providing nutrition education for the 300 persons that eat there daily, most of whom are experiencing chronic homelessness. Responsibilities include teaching, occasional food prep and cooking, maintaining relationships with food donors, recording the progress of our guests. This position supplements a fully-staffed kitchen.
The Franciscan Workers Community is part of the Franciscan Workers of Junipero Serra (a 501c3), who staff Dorothy's Place in Salinas, CA (Central Pacific Coast). We are full-time volunteers serving people living on the street and we live together in a small Community (walking distance from our service site) inspired by the Catholic Worker movement.
We are looking for people who have a deep and abiding interest in spirituality and mindfulness, who are committed to practicing compassion and working for social justice in their daily lives. You must want to be part of a Community and commit to connecting with the rest of the Franciscan Workers, to working through conflicts, and to supporting the whole group in our practices. We make decisions through consensus, which requires full participation by all our members. We support this mission: With love, respect and compassion, the Franciscan Workers of Junipero Serra provide essential services and transitional support to people experiencing the injustice of homelessness and extreme poverty. Visit http://www.companionsoftheway.org
• Familiarity with the issues surrounding homelessness and poverty. Respect and compassion for women who have been disenfranchised, traumatized and abused; who may be addicted to narcotics; who may be suffering from mental illness.
• Ability to work with diverse populations and commitment to the mission of the Franciscan Workers. Commitment to social justice, rights of the homeless, women's rights.
• Ethical, responsible, reliable
• Self-motivated, possessing excellent listening and communication skills, able to manage time wisely
• Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
• Bachelor's degree in nutrition, social work, counseling, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Able to effectively present information both orally and in written format and respond to questions from staff, clients, residents, government entities, service partners and the general public.
• Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and ability to quickly learn additional applications if required
PHYSICAL & SENSORY REQUIREMENTS:
• Ability to easily climb stairs to a second story
• Ability to easily bend and lift 20 lb. overhead
• Ability to read and comprehend administrative documents as well as data on a computer screen
More info on the Healthy Meals Project: http://www.dorothysplace.org/dorothyskitchen
PLEASE REPLY WITH RESUME AND COVER LETTER.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers